Jackson, Etti and Edu is recognised as a preeminent adviser in Mergers and Acquisitions transactions and cross-border acquisitions within Nigeria and the West Africa sub-region with experience spanning over 20 years. From the recapitalisation of former Intercontinental Bank Plc and follow-on acquisition by way of merger with Access Bank Plc to the integration of the Ghanaian and Ivory Coast subsidiaries of Baker Hughes Incorporated and BJ Services Company undertaken as part of the global integration of Baker Hughes and BJ Services entities, the Firm has advised on a number of landmark transactions.
Our approach is to appreciate the peculiarity of each transaction, recognising that no two transactions are the same. We ensure that structuring and implementation of the transaction is driven by the commercial objectives of the deal, resolution of regulatory concerns, preservation of shareholder value and actualisation of requisite synergies. We have completed transactions in a variety of industry sectors including banking, insurance, pension, oil and gas, power, advertising, agriculture, health, information technology sectors. We pride ourselves in our ability to guide our clients through the legal, regulatory and industry peculiarities as well as the corporate, social and political nuances that may relate to the transaction
Outstanding Support & Experience
We support our clients throughout the transaction life-cycle – from due diligence investigations to documentation drafting, review and negotiation, obtaining regulatory approvals, bid documentation review, completion and post-completion. We provide an end-to-end transaction management support for the entire transaction process and negotiations.
The team regularly represents global and Nigerian corporate leaders in the full spectrum of transactional work across various sectors and deal size. Given this, we are able to identify, and even anticipate, regulatory issues that may impact any transaction. We combine the analysis of the regulatory/legal issues with a practical, flexible and business-like approach on how these issues should be addressed and resolved.
Our team offers specialist and technical expertise and includes experts in corporate governance, employment and labour law, insurance law, litigation, finance, tax, intellectual property and real estate
Our Firm’s expertise has been recognized and ranked consistently in international legal directories such as International Financial Law Review and Chambers Partners Global.
Our product offerings include:
• Scheme of arrangement
• Scheme of compromise
• External restructurings
• Capital reduction
• Asset sale
• Joint ventures
- Acquisition of equity stake by the Publicis Groupe in the Troyka Group. The Troyka Group is the first wholly owned integrated marketing communications service provider in West Africa and Publicis Groupe is a global leader in marketing, communication and business transformation. In Africa, Publicis Groupe Africa is the fastest growing network of communication agencies in Africa.
- Acquisition involving United Mortgage Limited and Spring Mortgage Plc relating to the acquisition by United Mortgage Limited of 43.75% of the share capital of Spring Mortgage Plc and follow-on Merger involving United Mortgage Limited and Spring Mortgage Plc and conversation of United Mortgage Bank Plc into a regional commercial bank with the new name Providus Bank Plc. Providus Bank Plc being the second commercial bank to be issued a regional commercial banking licence in Nigeria.
- Recapitalization of former Intercontinental Bank Plc further to a scheme of arrangement involving the re-organisation of the entire share capital of the bank and the follow-on acquisition of 75% equity stake by Access Bank Plc. The transaction was valued at about US$4 Billion.
- Divestment by Skye Bank Plc, of its 51.95% equity stake in Law Union and Rock Insurance Plc, a publicly quoted insurance company. The deal was valued at US$20 Million.
- Integration of the Ghanaian and Ivory Coast subsidiaries of Baker Hughes Incorporated and BJ Services Company undertaken as part of the global integration of Baker Hughes and BJ Services entities further to the recent global acquisition of the BJ Services Company by Baker Hughes Incorporated.
- Cross-border Acquisition of a leading shipping and logistics company in Doula, Cameroon. This transaction was largely influenced by the application of Organization for Harmonization of Business Law in Africa (OHADA) uniform law.
- Restructuring of Pathcare Nigeria Limited (Pathcare) involving (a) creation of two special purpose vehicles for the purpose of divesting equity stakes in Pathcare (b) divestment and exit of a significant minority stake in Pathcare (c) ultimately the acquisition of at least 51% majority stake in Pathcare by Synlab Suisse SA., a global medical diagnostic service provider and (d) Spin-off of the Head Office Property of the Pathcare to a Special Purpose Vehicle.