- FDI – Foreign Direct Investment – We provide investment advice to foreigners (individuals and corporate bodies) in respect of establishing businesses in Nigeria. Our services include advising on requirements of incorporating a company in Nigeria; advising on the structure and legal forms of businesses; preparing incorporation documents; filing incorporation documents at the Corporate Affairs Commission (“CAC”); assisting in opening bank accounts and obtaining Certificates of Capital Importation; obtaining Business Permits; obtaining and maintaining pre-investment approvals.
- Company Secretarial – We provide company secretarial services to local companies and foreign companies with Nigerian subsidiaries. In this regard our services include organizing/preparing and circulating notices of meetings; attending meetings, preparing minutes of meetings, filing statutory returns with the regulators – Corporate Affairs Commission, Nigerian Stock Exchange and the Securities and Exchange Commission; general maintenance of clients’ statutory books and corporate governance advisory services.
- Corporate Immigration – We advise on all aspect of corporate immigration matters ranging from corporate entities’ applications to establish and carry on business in Nigeria – Business Permit and Expatriate Quota Approval; applications for sponsored individuals and their dependents – TWP, Business Visas, Ecowas Permit, CERPAC etc; Corporate Immigration Advisory; Logistic Support Services; Document Procurement and Authentication through to Government Liaison. We also assist with filing monthly returns at the Nigeria Immigration Service.
- Regulatory and Advisory – We provide advisory services and assist clients to achieve registration with various regulatory bodies (in most sectors of the economy) including: National Agency for Food Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion (NOTAP), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), amongst others.
- Logistics Services – Airport Logistic Service, meet and greet and local transportation and hotel accommodation arrangements.
Corporate Commercial & General Legal Advisory
Business & Regulatory Advisory
Our Business Regulatory & Advisory Team comprises proficient lawyers with in-depth knowledge of the Nigerian business environment, investment opportunities and a wealth of experience in regulatory and corporate Immigration matters. We enjoy close relationships with clients and make it our business to know our clients’ business in order to respond practically and efficiently to clients’ needs.
We have been at the forefront of the privatization programme of the Federal Government of Nigeria, providing valuable advice to both the Bureau of Public Enterprises and private sector in relation to the privatization of government-owned enterprises. Our lawyers have valuable experience required to assist the government and core investors through the bid process, negotiation deal terms bearing in mind the commercial and public sensitivities typical to the privatization process.
- Privatisation of the interests of the Federal Government of Nigeria (“FGN”) in Capital Hotels Plc(“CHP”) (owners of the Abuja Sheraton Hotel and Towers) involving the divestment of part of the interest of the FGN in CHP.
- Privatisation of the interests of the FGN in Daily Times of Nigeria Plc (“DTN”) involving the divestment of about 96.1% beneficial interest of the FGN in DTN.
- Public Private Partnership involving a concession arrangement between Lagos State Government of Nigeria and a real estate developer for the dredging and reclamation of land measuring up to 150 (One Hundred and Fifty) Hectares from the Lagos Lagoon.
We routinely advise on tax issues and assist our clients in various areas of tax administration, especially company income tax, petroleum profit tax, personal income tax liabilities of resident and non-resident employees, value-added tax and withholding tax.
Many of our banking and finance, mergers and acquisitions, securities and real estate transactions have been tax-driven, and we have advised extensively on the tax implications of those transactions. Our other tax clients have included local and offshore groups of companies seeking corporate re-organizations to achieve greater tax efficiency and multilateral institutions seeking tax exemption certifications.
We also advise on establishing and restructuring managed funds consisting of financial assets to achieve minimal tax exposure. We advise real estate developers and other investors on structures to manage their exposure to capital gains tax, income tax and stamp duty. We counsel several corporate taxpayers on informal attempts to resolve their differences with the authorities, usually in respect of alleged back duty, withholding tax, pay-as-you-earn deductions and stamp duty.
Labour & Employment
Our experience in this area of practice includes advising on compliance with labour, employment and compensation legislations and the preparation/review of contracts of employments, collective bargaining agreements and employee handbooks. We specialize in advising, structuring and preparing of employees share purchase and option schemes and also routinely advise multinational clients on strategies in relation to trade union issues.